In a country that considers bargaining for hours together to save 10 or 20 rupees, it is no surprise that mileage is one of the primary factors taken into consideration before buying a vehicle. Sales persons at vehicle showrooms can wax eloquent on the myriad features a car or bike has, but the one question on every prospective buyers’ mind is “How much does it give?” In a day and age where resource depletion and paucity of reserves at oil wells dominates much of our news bites, this obsession with saving fuel, even if for all the wrong reasons, should be encouraged.
Regardless if which vehicle you use, there are a few methods you can employ to minimize fuel consumption. The most effective of these have been listed below.
- Regular and proper maintenance: – The reason this point is so obvious is because it is so vital to the optimum functioning of the vehicle. Keeping all the moving parts of the vehicle such as gears and chains properly lubricated and free of damage helps it function with maximum efficiency. When each component of the vehicle is in pristine condition, its use becomes that much easier and fuel consumption is also reduced.
- Don’t be idle: – Puns aside, statistics show that the amount of fuel burnt when the vehicle engine is running when stationary is almost criminal. If you have to halt anywhere for more than 10 seconds, don’t hesitate to switch the engine off. The amount of fuel required to restart the engine is minuscule compared to that wasted when idling.
- Proper tire pressure: – If tire pressure is even a few units below the suggested value, the engine has to undergo additional strain to keep the vehicle moving or to attain a specific speed. Maintaining correct tire pressure through regular checks can help reduce fuel consumption. Added benefits include greater driving comfort and a reduction in safety concerns.
- Proper gearing: – Revving in lower gears does help you go faster, but leads to a criminal wastage of fuel. Shifting when the engines 2000 rpm and downshifting according to reduction in speed reduces strain on the engine leads to a consequent increase in vehicle mileage.
- Proper planning: – It is common knowledge that traffic leads to decreased mileage. Avoid rush hours and congested routes as far as possible. This helps you save time, money and fuel.